Thursday, June 14, 2012

Grateful Thursdays

Pin It
It has been a while since I last wrote about books around here, and it doesn’t mean I have not been reading. On the contrary, it means the last couple of books I read were so dense and made such a huge impact on me that I needed time to digest them.
One of these was Ann Voskamp’s One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You are.

I have no idea of how I found Ann’s blog, but I came to enjoy her writing through it. The woman is clearly a Holy Spirit filled writer! I particularly loved her post on An Easter Garden.
I recognized the cover of her book on her blog home page from Amazon’s suggestions to me based on my previous purchase, so I figured I should go ahead and read it. And I did. And it changed my life.
The premise of the book is quite simple: she begins making a list of one thousand things she can thank God for. But the list becomes something so much more, it changes her views and it makes her a better Christian. Reading along, we get to have the same a-ha moments she does, and come along for the journey.
Obviously, I started my own list. It is ridiculous how long it takes for us to get into the habit of filling it out, how foreign being continuously thankful seems.  I started the list on May 1st, the same day I finished the book. Over a month later, I am still on item 273. Can I really only find 273 things to be thankful in the span of a whole month? Sad, I know.
So to help me practice thankfulness more often, I decided to dedicate one day a week in this blog to talk about it: Grateful Thursdays.
What about you? Do you have things you are grateful for?