Tuesday, November 27, 2012

This Momentary Marriage Book review

Pin It
This past week I just finished reading a book that had a tremendous impact in my life: John Piper's This Momentary Marriage. 



I know it may sound odd, but I didn't really know what marriage was about. I had a wordly view that it was about living together, having babies, sharing a double income. Lately, this topic has been flooding my life. We talked about during a couple's night. I found this wonderful book by John Piper for free. Our church is preparing for a couple's retreat. I've been reading stuff about marriage literally everywhere. 

This book covers pretty much all basic topics in a discussion about marriage. Love. Sex. Patience. Forgiveness. Leadership. Submission. Faith. Divorce.

It would be foolish of me to try to improve on John Piper's words, or attempt to sound as if my 2 1/2 year old marriage has taught me great lessons. There are many heartaches, joys and lessons Andre and I have not yet been through.

Nothing the book talks about is new. It's all there, folks. Right in your bible. But the manner in which John weaves stories, combines cultural beliefs to scripture, and talks about Jesus, it's overwhelming. Especially the Jesus part. I had no idea marriage was so much about Jesus. 

There is a part on singleness as well, which makes the book perfect for single people and those about to get married. There are lots of questions people should ask before saying 'I do', and the truth is that not a lot of us do ask these hard questions. 

For all you kindle users, I urge you to download it for free. For the paperback lovers, it's totally worth the price you'll pay for it.