Friday, November 9, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Quiet

Pin It

Today we are joining Lisa-Jo Baker (am I the only one who still referred to her as The Gypsy Mama?) for her Five Minute Friday. Here is what she has to say about it:

This is where a brave and beautiful bunch gather every week to find out what comes out when we all spend five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing ‘em over here.


Rules:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.

3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..
OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on: QUIET


Why balloons, you ask? Anyone who's been hot air ballooning knows you need to be up and ready before the sun, as the temperature rises with the sun in the sky. So for me, balloons equal quiet mornings.

After being branded by my family as a sleepy head, and spending the first two decades of my life sleeping in until hunger actually woke me up, I know better. When I started working in schools I quickly learned that there is no sleeping in for teachers, and often you get to wake up before the sun rises. 

It took me a while, but eventually I learned the benefits of waking up even earlier than I have to. I slip out of bed while the first sun rays are coming out. All is quiet. All is still. 

I can move about in my own slow pace. Make tea. Grab my Bible. Grab a blanket. Sit. Be silent. 

I love my husband, but quiet is one of the last adjectives I'd pick for him. We complement each other that way. And when it is the crack of dawn, he has no interest in being up, so that is when I come and God works. In me. Through me. With me. 

Before my mind starts rushing about job problems. Before I can notice the pile of laundry. Before I have time to think that I need to lose weight or schedule a dentist appointment. When my mind is quiet. That's when I feel His comfort.