Friday, October 19, 2012

31 days: On joy

Pin It
I am joining the Nester plus quite a few other bloggers in a 31 day writing challenge. You can write about whatever you want, and I choose to write on the search for a Spirit-led life. Join me, won't you?

To start reading from the beginning, and for links for all days, click here.


On joy


Yesterday we began talking about the fruits of the Spirit, and as I am a bit of an OCD when it comes to these things, I figured we will go in the order they were written. Which leaves today with joy.

I always figured joy = happy. But when I looked over some definitions, I realised it's not just that. The Free Dictionary Online defines joy as An intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness. I just love that.

And as much as I love that, I want that. I cannot help but think that I don't have that. Maybe some fleeting moments, but on the day to day, 24/7, I can think of many adverbs and adjectives to think of to describe my feelings. Exultant happiness is not one of them.

But now I see how joy relates to one basic principle: satisfaction in God. The more satisfaction I get from God, the bigger exultant happiness I'll be able to enjoy.