Friday, May 18, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Perspective

Pin It
Today we are joining The Gypsy Mama for her Five Minute Friday. Here is what she has to say about it:

Around here we write for five minutes flat on Fridays.
We write because we love words and the relief it is to just write them without worrying if they’re just right or not. So we take five minutes on Friday and write like we used to run when we were kids.
On Fridays we write with gusto, unselfconscious and flat out.
Rules:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here ( and @
Gypsy Mama) and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.
OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on: Perspective



For an entire decade I identified myself as a 'twenty-something'. I was a college student, a grad student, a teaching assistant, a brand new and inexperienced teacher. I went out to movies often and wasted away hours from my Saturday roaming the halls of Barnes & Nobles to search for a good book and the latest cool CD. I told myself I would never give up on the things I loved so much, which made me who I am, and knowing all sorts of obscure recording artists was part of it.


As of last July, I have no longer been twenty-something. It didn't bother me much because I figured I have been maturing and making decisions to improve my life I just couldn't be bothered doing it in college- I was probably to busy gulping down Sonic slushies.

But a couple of days ago, as I drove for over two hours into the city for an appointment, I listened to my Ipod and began to feel old. All the songs that were on shuffle were from my college days, and I reminesced until I felt the best days were gone. How come not a single one of them reminded me of my initial romance with my husband, or my awesome honeymoon?

That's when I realized I have not bought CDs or music from the Itunes store in about, oh, I don't know when. I honestly think it might have been when I still lived in Atlanta, circa 2006. Add that to the fact that I used to live and drive alone, pumping songs through my stereo but now live and often ride in the car with the hubby, doing something a bit more important called talking.

Which is when I realized that my college days weren't the haydays of my life, I just don't have a soundtrack for the last couple of years. I'll get onto that as soon as possible.