Friday, May 11, 2012

Five minute Friday: Identity

Pin It
Today we are joining The Gypsy Mama for her Five Minute Friday. Here is what she has to say about it:

Around here we write for five minutes flat on Fridays.
We write because we love words and the relief it is to just write them without worrying if they’re just right or not. So we take five minutes on Friday and write like we used to run when we were kids.
On Fridays we write with gusto, unselfconscious and flat out.
Rules:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here ( and @
Gypsy Mama) and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.
OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on: Identity


One of my all-time favorite books is 'Searching for God knows what' by Donald Miller. It has a lot of insightful observations, but its main point, which the author refers to again and again, is what makes me like it so much.

Miller claims we have a 'lifeboat mentality'. It's like we live in a Survivor type show adrift at sea in a small life raft. We have to continuoesly convince everyone around us that we are worthy enough not to get tossed overboard, because someone will. That is the single factor of why we would try to put others down in hopes to make ourselves look good.

To prove our point, we create labels, and get affiliated to parties. Christian. Teacher. Dog lover. Vegetarian. Humanitarian. Businessman. Rich. TV Star. All we are is supposed to come down to one noun.

The truth is, I cannot fit into any of the boxes that is assigned to me. Yes, I am a Christian, but I refuse to tell others they will burn in hell if they don't surrender to Jesus because I can't quite wrap my heart around that one. Yes, I am a wife, but at times I want to be left alone watching five consecute episodes of House. Yes, I am a teacher, but my love for the kids who have called me 'Miss' goes beyond an acquaintace-type. Yes, I am a dog lover, but at times I need my husband to call Jack because I just want to shake him.

We all have our pretty side. and our not-so-pretty selves. The biggest lesson is being able to open ourselves to learn why we do certain things, and whether we want to change or not.