Monday, February 4, 2013

First day of school

Pin It

Today is the first day of school, and because of the Brazilian school calendar, the first day of the school year.  For the first time in about six years, I don't have a class of my own. My current job is related to coordination, focusing on teacher training, admissions and all sorts of backstage stuff that I never knew had to happen before.

First days are always emotional. Kids and parents show separation anxiety. Some are just so excited about a new class that they can barely make it. Kids and teachers get that knot in their stomach about the great unknown that is the year that is about to come.

For me, 2013 is a year full of unknowns. We have big dreams and big promises, on pretty much all aspects of life. So I have two options:

I could foster the knot in the stomach that comes and goes and rationalize that I do, indeed have reasons to fret.

Or I can be at peace. Simple as that. It is a choice. 

Every day, at every moment, every doubt, every change, we are faced with the decision. How do you often choose?