Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 days: on worry

Pin It
I am joining the Nester plus quite a few other bloggers in a 31 day writing challenge. You can write about whatever you want, and I choose to write on the search for a Spirit-led life. Join me, won't you?

To start reading from the beginning, and for links for all days, click here.

On worry
 
What if?
 
I believe those two words are perfectly innocent, until put together. What ifs stop me from listening to God, from living His love, from following and believing with all my heart. They cripple me more than any other thought, and surround me more often than I care to admit.
 
The theory, we all know. God's love casts outs all fears. We read time and time again characters from the Bible messing up or missing out due to the fear of stepping up, shaking our heads and thinking If it were me, I certainly wouldn't deny Jesus. Or would I? Or do I?

 
The worst part? Our worries are usually focused on temporal things, that won't even matter that much. But as humans, we like comfort. We like stability. We don't like not being in control. We do not welcome change. Even when we know that change is needed.
 
I'd love to say I am strong enough not to worry anymore. That, however, would be a lie. I still worry. I worry tons. But every time I do, I think of one word: trust. And that one word gets me from drawing scenarios of unbearable loss, to seeing anything that may come my way as a chance to grow closer to God.