Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 days: On forbearance

Pin It

I am joining the Nester plus quite a few other bloggers in a 31 day writing challenge. You can write about whatever you want, and I choose to write on the search for a Spirit-led life. Join me, won't you?

To start reading from the beginning, and for links for all days, click here.



On forbearance


When I was a teen I enjoyed a silly girly game. Its similar to a tick tack toe, but you fill it up with the kinds of stuff you want for your future with three options of each. Three potential husbands. Three names of baby girls. Three names of baby boys. And three of more silly stuff.

Then you choose the age you think you will get married. Because whatever number you pick, that's the one you will count and methodically cross things out so you get left with one of each, a glimpse of the future. Pathetic, I know. But I was obsessed with it.

The age I chose for my wedding? 23. Always 23. 

The age I actually got married? 28, almost getting to 29 (I actually turned 29 on my honeymoon).

That means that for nearly 6 years, I was single, when I had always thought and planned, and hoped, and wished, and dreamed I would be married. When I was in college, I was ready to meet the one. When I graduated, I was ready to get married. If you had asked me ten years ago where would I be when I were 31, I would probably say a stay at home mom with three kids ages 3, 5 and 7. Today I guess you could say I have three babies. They are all furry and the cutest mutts I could wish for, but there are no human babies around yet.

If there is one thing I do well is to live thinking about the future. If only I already did this, whenever I get that, as soon as this comes....and it is so easy to live our lives focused on what's not here. And miss that waiting for it, trusting it and having faith in it, that makes all the difference.