Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 days: on service

Pin It
I am joining the Nester plus quite a few other bloggers in a 31 day writing challenge. You can write about whatever you want, and I choose to write on the search for a Spirit-led life. Join me, won't you?

To start reading from the beginning, and for links for all days, click here.
 
On service
 
I am a selfish girl. I may tell you what you want to hear, but the truth is, if I have to choose between serving or being served, I will most likely ask you to do whatever it is needs done, and ask you to grab me a glass of water on your way back to the couch.
 
And when I do serve, boy, do I milk the most out of it. I make sure everyone knows I was the one to stop by the grocery store, or that I spent two hours ironing the clothes, and you should be oh, so thankful.
 
God has been working on that. Not on my willingness to serve (I'll do it, I'll just be rolling my eyes while I do so), but on having a serving heart.
 
Take the children's ministry, for example. My church is small and there is one service. About once a month, I am scheduled to help with the children, which means I completely lose the word preached.
 
I've asked God to show the church leaders we could add a morning service, so we could rotate and everyone would be able to take part. I've begged God to make the time go faster as I was serving, especially because most of what I do is take four-year-olds to the bathroom. I've contemplated quitting the ministry because I rushed into it anyway, so God couldn't possibly want me serving on a Sunday. I don't even have kids, let the mothers come up with a schedule has actually crossed my mind.
 
But every time I think about that, I realise that's not how things go. I see that God uses every moment of my life, not just the Sunday sermon to talk to me. That this service is quite similar to my job, minus the glory of my title, salary and recognition, so chances are, that is right where He wants me. And so I gear up for one more Sunday in which I kiss my husband good-bye right after the worship and head upstairs to do what is needed of me.