Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Shelfari

Pin It

I am more and more becoming addicted to all things-social-media-related. I have loved amazon for quite a while, and since I got my kindle, I have spent countless hours browsing.

I had seen shelfari on some people’s blog and thought that was it: a pretty little shelf that shows the stuff you enjoy to read. Oh, but it is so much more!

It allows you to set a reading goal, whether it is for the entire year or for the current month. As you update your reading info, it lets you know if you are on pace, ahead, or slacking, which is a great reminder for us to slow down and go back to basics.

It allows you to browse books and their reviews, as well as to write your own. I think its great that there are people who get paid to critique books, but sometimes I’ve gotten all excited about a new Oprah’s Book Club choice, only to see it was simply beyond my patience (such as The Corrections- sorry Oprah, I just couldn’t get into it!). So I like reviews by us, normal folk.

It also enables you to take part in communities, and there are all sort of book clubs and groups based on your preferred genre, which is really cool.

All of that, linked to your amazon account. My only complaint about Shelfari is that I don’t have nearly enough time to spend on it as I wish I had!